Friday, May 20, 2011

Pack it up, Pack it in... Stockpiling

  We have already talked about how eating at home and meal planning can save you time and money! Now we're going to build on that by stockpiling

  What is stockpiling? Stockpiling is when you buy things you use on a regular basis when it goes on sale, whether you need it right then or not. I'm not talking about clearing the shelf and having a lifetime supply of mustard... I'm talking about buying just a few extra. 

  Stockpiling will not only save you money, but also your time by helping to simplify your life. How many times have you sat down to eat dinner, only to realize that you're out of butter or in the morning you are desperately trying to squeeze the last bit of toothpaste out of the bottle??? We have ALL been there one way or the other. 

  If you stockpile, you can go right into your cabinet & grab the item you need. It is so convenient. Think of it as shopping in your own home!

  The other great thing about stockpiling is, it offers more flexibility with shopping. If my schedule does not permit time to shop, I can actually skip a week. I may run in to buy some bread, milk, or fresh produce. But I have enough of the basics so as for a real shopping trip, it is unnecessary.
  
Let's put this into perspective money-wise... 
 
Think of something you use regularly... Ex: butter, ketchup, cereal, etc. For this example, I'll use cereal. 
  • Let's say the cereal you always buy is $4.00 & you go through about a box a week. 
  • That is $16.00/month & $192.00/year. 
  • Now, if that cereal goes on sale for $2.00 wouldn't it be best to buy more than just one for that week & instead buy a few? That way when you run out you not only have it in the house, but it cost less. 
  • If you just bought enough to last you a month, that would be 4 boxes at $2.00 a box... you would save $8.00/month. 
  • What if you committed to ONLY buy that cereal when it was $2.00 a box? That would save you $96.00/year! That's quite a substantial amount of money. 
   Now what if you did that with more than just cereal? What if you did it with multiple things? You can see how the savings would add up, right??? 

  Another thing I have started stockpiling is dog food. 
  • The average bag of dog food is $18, I go through a bag a month
  • That is costing $216/year! 
  • I only buy it every time it goes on sale for 1/2 price.
  • That saves $8.00/month & $108/year! 
  • If you add that to our cereal savings & we're saving $16.00/month & $204/year!!! And that's with only stockpiling TWO things!

Here are a few tips:
 - Only stock up on nonperishables (canned or box items or things that can be frozen). 
 - Do NOT be a shelf clearer! That is terrible shopping etiquette. Only take what you will use in about 2-3 months. Things typically cycle through a sale of about the same price every 6 weeks or so. So, you don't need to buy a lifetime supply! 
 - Make sure you pay attention to the shelf life. You're not saving any money if you end up throwing it away!
 - To get started pick 5 items you use often that you can start stockpiling.
 - The next time you shop, find at least one sale item that you can stockpile.


**Be sure to read the Gathering Around the Table post about eating at home & the So Simple post about meal planning. These are all things that I do to help cut spending! I promise my savings does not JUST come from using coupons! :)

5 comments:

  1. I always try to stay one cycle ahead in laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, toothpaste and toothbrushes, and deodorant/shampoo/conditioner items.
    Just a suggestion on what to start stockpiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suggestions! I stock those things, too! I plan on doing a post next week that shows my stockpile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never stockpiled or even used coupons, but your rationale really makes sense. I am going to try to stockpile one item on my next shopping trip. I better research the sales! Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT! Let me know how it goes & what item you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, not really the point of this, but I had to majorly cringe when you said your bag of dog food is $18. I have to imagine it is a very low quality dog food, because no decent dog foods are that price. However, by changing to a higher quality dog food, you feed less and your dog has better nutrition. This means you have to buy less quantity, and you end up spending less on things like going to the vet, as your dog is healthier.

    I'm sure you wouldn't save money on food for you and your kids by purchasing the cheapest food out there, regardless of the nutritional content. Why would you do it for your dog?

    ReplyDelete