Here are some interesting facts that will help you decide!
1. Better for our health?
- Chemical Free Food: Eating non-organic foods have not been proven to be completely safe. These items contain no more than an approved amount of chemicals, but no one knows how dangerous ingesting the chemicals can be, or the long-term effects of these chemicals on our bodies.
- Clean Air and Water: Organic farming does not rely on harmful chemicals that can pollute our water and air.
2. Better for the environment -
- Cleaner Water: With organic farming, there are no pesticides to leak into the water, potentially contaminating our drinking water.
- Cleaner Air: Conventional farming requires chemicals to be sprayed, left to linger in the air for people and animals to breath.
- Reduce Pesticide Reliance: Pesticides may kill off some pests, but, just as with antibiotics in people, pests can develop a resistance towards pesticides. This also makes the use of increasingly stronger pesticides necessary to continuously kill off the pests.
3. Better for animals/meat -
- No Growth Hormones or Antibiotics: Animals that are raised organically are not given growth hormones or antibiotics, so these chemicals will not be passed from your meat to your body.
- Organic Feed: Organically raised animals are fed organic only. This ensures no build up of pesticides in the animal, and no pesticides being passed onto you. Non-organically raised cows may be fed ground up remains of their own kind, which can spread mad cow disease. Organically raised cows are not fed animal remains.
*We really don't know the the full effect of eating organic vs. non organic. It is mostly suggested to err or the side of caution! Common sense tells us that ingesting all the chemicals are not healthy for our body, but there are no facts! So, it all comes down to your personal judgment & budget! Since these products are always more expensive; sometimes as much as double the price!
**REMEMBER: The health benefits of a diet rich in fruits and vegetables outweigh the risks of pesticide exposure. Eating conventionally-grown produce is far better than not eating fruits and vegetables at all. Always be sure you wash the outer layer well, before eating!
If you are interested in getting started, here are the top highest & lowest in pesticides. A better option to spending extra on organic produce is to avoid the "dirtiest" or only buy the "cleanest"!
Here are 12 most contaminated fruits & vegetables that would be most beneficial to buy organic:
6. Nectarines - imported
7. Grapes - imported
8. Sweet Bell Peppers
10. Blueberries - domestic
12. Kale/Collard Greens
Here are the top 15 lowest contaminated fruits & vegetables:
2. Sweet Corn
6. Sweet Peas
9. Cantaloupe - domestic
13. Sweet Potatoes
14. Grape Fruit15. Mushrooms
What does your family eat? Are you concerned about eating organic? I have never bought organic, but am considering either avoiding the "dirtiest" & buying more of the "cleanest"!
This list was released from www.ewg.org.