Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tuesday Tweeking... The Family Calendar

One of the most common questions I get asked is, "How do you keep track of everyone & everything?"

   I'm a stay at home mom. I have 4 kids ages 9, 8, 7, & 3 years old. My husband has a full-time job in advertising & is a volunteer campus minister at our church. We are opening a new campus hopefully at the start of the new year & he is responsible for overseeing the volunteers, renovation, the outreach, the advertising, etc. We both also volunteer with our church youth and I help w/ the preschool class once a month. My son plays baseball in the fall & spring seasons & my husband volunteers to coach both. 

   Those are our main responsibilities... At least the ones that I can remember. And then you throw in Dr. appointments, playdates, church events, family & friends and we have a lot going on with little time to accomplish it all. 



   Despite it all I am still a tad bit of a control-freak! I like to know what's happening & when... Ahead of time, so I can be prepared. For me there's only one way for that to happen... My monthly calendar!


  
This allows me to see everything we have for the month so I can plan accordingly. 
It helps with:
 - Menu Planning 
 - Shopping Successfully 
 - Planning my budget 
 - Finding time to fit cleaning into my schedule
 - Especially helpful around the holidays

  If it's not on the calendar, it's not happening... Just ask my husband! ;)

Here's my process:

  1. At the beginning of every month I write out any plans we have... I look at the kids school calendar, the church bulletin, any game schedules, etc.
  2. Then I ask my husband of anything he may have planned that I don't know about. 
  3. I then add to it whenever extra things are planned through out the month. 
  4. I also semi color code things. Like weekly activities are blue, and orange or green are the special dates or out of the ordinary events .
  5. And it's magnetic so I can stick any reminder papers to it.
  
Make sure you keep the calendar placed in a public area. This way anyone can add, or  if others are making plans they can look at the calendar to see if it's even a possibility, before they ask you and you can make sure you're prepared for the week ahead. I keep mine in the kitchen. 

   This may sound ancient now, with the use of smart phones, laptops, ipods, etc. But I like to have something that EVERYone can see! You can sync up your electronic calendars, but I like to be able to see the whole month in front of me when I'm on the phone or just glancing over while making breakfast in the morning.  


    
**I encourage you to try this. This is really an easy way to simplify your life, with very little effort, even if you're not the most organized person. Do you already have a system that you use to keep your household in under control??? Share...



No comments:

Post a Comment