Monday, August 22, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Tacos w/ Homemade Taco Sauce



   I found this recipe on a great cooking blog. She is quite the cook! I picked this recipe, because it looked quick, simple & I already had all the ingredients necessary! This recipe uses common staples found in most pantries! The tortillas were the only item that I was missing & so that is why I chose to make them homemade! Plus, they are way more delicious when made from scratch! 
   The only thing about this recipe that concerned me, was having to shred the chicken! I hate shredding chicken! To my surprise when the chicken was cooked & ready to be shredded it was so tender it just fell apart right in the pot... literally! It was so simple, I had my 11 year old do it!
   This recipe was so yummy! It will definitely be added to our regular meal plan rotation! It will also be a great recipe to make for company, because it made a TON! The picture I took above was taken after we had already eaten dinner, which was about 10 tacos!!!

Crockpot Chicken Tacos w/ Homemade Taco Sauce:

2lb. chicken breast frozen or fresh
Homemade Taco Sauce or jar of taco sauce
  • 8 ounce tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (more if you want this hotter)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon of onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Mix all together in a blender until smooth. Pour sauce into pan and cook over med-low heat for 15-20 minutes. Don’t skip the cooking part of this. You need to heat the sauce up to really blend the flavors together.

Place the chicken & sauce in crockpot. Set to high for 5 hours. When finished cooking, shred chicken. Fill hard or soft tacos, cheese, sour cream, ect. Serve w/ rice or chips or veggies.


**I did not cook the taco sauce. I just poured everything in the crockpot over the chicken. I also served these with homemade tortillas. These were delicious! These also go great for making quesadillas with the leftovers! 

Shared with:

1 comment:

  1. I love the spices in this homemade sauce, and the recipe sounds just delicious. Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop. Please can I ask you to place a link back to one of the Hearth and Soul hop hosts in this post? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete