Monday, August 22, 2011

Homemade Tortillas




Ever since I went to Mexico in January for a missions trip, I have become obsessed with making homemade tortillas! They taste way better & cheaper than store bought! So, after trying a few different recipes... Ta da! I have finally found one that I am able to make, without it ending in tears or inedible food! :)

Homemade Tortillas:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teas baking powder
  • 1/2 teas salt
  • 2 Tablespoons of butter/margarine (softened)
  • 1/2 cup of warm water

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter in a medium bowl.

Gradually add water and mix until a smooth dough is formed. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.


Roll dough into one and one-half inch balls. Set on a plate and cover. Let rest for ten minutes.

Flatten one ball at a time between two small plates and then roll out on lightly floured surface, into a six inch circle.

The flatter you roll the dough the more it will resemble soft tacos, thicker dough is more like a gordita.


Place the tortillas on a griddle and cook over a medium heat until the tortillas turn white, then flip and repeat.

**I served these with the Crockpot Chicken Tacos! Check out the Recipe page for all my new recipes!

  I always double the recipe for my family! I would rather have leftovers than not enough! I heat the water in the teapot on the stove. Add the water very slowly as you mix, sometimes you need more or less than the recipe calls for. I have never used the 'plate method', I just smash with my hand & then use the rolling pin. I also do not have a griddle. I use a cast iron skillet as shown in the above picture.


Shared with:
The Girl Creative

3 comments:

  1. Those look amazing!!

    -janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Party!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2011/10/for-this-weeks-party.html

    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    {skipthehousework@hotmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these today for lunch, but used whole wheat instead of all purpose flour (all I had). I added extra water to make it workable and made the smaller tortillas. I thought they were good and will use AP flour next time. thank you for an easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete