Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Irene is HERE

Well, we have prepared as much as we can.... The effects of Hurricane Irene is here. Although, Hampton Roads area will technically not be 'hit' until about 2pm. We are already experiencing plenty of wind & rain. We were in a tornado warning all night, until 9:30am, which made it almost impossible to sleep. 

We did lose power for a moment late last night & I may have overreacted... I felt that gasping & yelling, "Oh my gosh, GREG!" was appropriate. But by my husband laughing in the dark, I'm thinking otherwise. I am blaming it on the fact that is was barely even raining so it was completely unexpected! It came back on in less than a minute thankfully. 

We have a few flickers of power this morning, so we're pretty much just counting down the time until we are powerless. My biggest worry is losing my food in the freezer! I have moved it inside & packed it as full as possible... I emptied my regular freezer. Added a jug of water & a cooler of ice. We shall see. But in the end... It is just food.


Besides the power, my biggest worries are the trampoline & trees outback. We have tied the trampoline down as best as possible. (The yellow rope shows my husbands excellent tying down job.) Another problem is going to be our dogs. They will not go outside in this weather. Our older dog, Coco, has a bladder of steel. So, I think she'll be fine. But our puppy Pearl is a completely different story. She pees if she gets too excited... She's already had 2 accidents! This should be fun! :)




















Besides that, the dishes are done, the laundry is done, everything is inside, the tree branches close to the house are cut down, freezer full, fridge & freezer set to the coldest setting, plenty of food & water & batteries, ac set high... Now, I guess all that is left to do is pray! 

How are you preparing & weathering the storm???



No comments:

Post a Comment