Friday, September 30, 2011

Being Still



My 7 year old, Hannah Grace is definitely the loud one of our bunch! My husband would like to say that she takes after her Momma, but I know better...

After spending a short amount of time with her, you will quickly realize that she is a talker! (Okay, so maybe she is a little bit like me!) So why does this little one have so much to say??? Because ALL she does is ask questions! Question after question! She wants to know everything about anything! 

Just while shopping for 20 minutes in the grocery store the other day, she asked me so many questions.... "Can we buy soda? Can we buy cookies? What's this for? Do you like these? Do we need cookies? Are you buying poptarts? What are you looking for? How much is that? Where are we going after here? What are we eating for dinner?" ... Can you feel my exhaustion in that moment? Exhausted to the point that I finally told her she wasn't aloud to talk to me anymore, until we left! Lol I couldn't even concentrate on shopping! (Of course, that still didn't work.)

But... On the way home God convicted me of how I can be just like my 7 year old! *sigh* How often do I bombard God with a million questions! "What about this relationship, God? What about this problem? What about this bill? What about the future? Why did you let this happen, God? Are you in control? Do you even care? Do you even hear me???"

I am always so concerned with bringing my needs before God, because I say I believe that he is in control & with him all things are possible... But how often do I actually show by my actions that I believe it?!

~ Psalm 46:10

Let's break this verse down...

"Be still" - means to cast down; to let fall; to be relaxed; not making an effort; not putting forth exertion; leaving matters with God, or of being without anxiety about the issue. **To not even make an effort or to have anxiety... Sometimes I feel that is impossible when problems arise!

"And know that I am God" - means to see the evidence that I am God, see a work accomplished which none but God could effect. **To have absolute confidence in God.

"I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." - means those that do not worship me shall see in these deeds full proof that I am the true God, and that I am worthy of universal adoration. **He is so powerful that even the things he will do will speak to the lost!

All of that is so deep, yet so simple! God is God because of nothing I have done, but because of who He is! And all I need to do is to stop trying to make God pay attention to me and believe he is in control!!


God might not do things the way I prefer or in my timing, but...



He does have it all under control and with my best interest at heart... I just need to Be Still!



 P.S. I just wrote this Weds. night & then yesterday we found out that our car needs $2000 worth of work done! Funny how God works! Please pray for me as I practice Being Still.


Share with:

2 comments:

  1. This is 100% what I needed to read this morning...you have no idea. I'm going through an extremely difficult trial, and the questions of "are You in control? Can You hear me? Do You even care?" have passed my lips so many times I can't count. It's amazing how God can give a timely Word to one person, but it's also timely for others as well. Thank you for allowing God to speak to you, through you, and sharing it here! It's a blessing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful break down of that verse! I have an 8 year old that is louder and talkative like her mama ;)

    ReplyDelete