Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My New Recipe of the Week - Easy Chicken N Dumplins



I have never made chicken n dumplins... But I had fall on my mind & this has got to be one of the top comfort food meals! This recipe was the 1st one so far that gave me a little frustration! I guess it was bound to happen sometime, right? It tasted great, I just had to divert from the directions.

This is quite easy when you consider that most recipes require you to boil a whole chicken... This recipe you just use an already roasted chicken from your grocery store. You could also throw a whole chicken or cut up chicken parts in the crockpot w/ some seasonings for the day. 

Go here to see the rest of all my new recipes I've tried! Let me know if you try anything or if you have any suggestions!


Chicken N Dumplins:


  • 1 Pre-Roasted Chicken
  • 6 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 1 cup Water
  • 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 tbsp Baking Powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp Milk

Pour broth and water in a large heavy saucepan/pot and boil on high heat.

Peel back and discard chicken skin. Flake off medium sized chunks of your chicken and set aside.

To make the dumplins: 
Combine the flour, baking powder, 1 ¼ tsp of salt and milk in medium bowl. 

Stir well until smooth, then let the dough rest for 5-10 mins. 

Roll the dough out onto a floured surface to ½ inch thickness. Cut ½ inch squares with a knife or pizza cutter. (perfection is not important)

Drop each square into the simmering broth. The dumplins will swell, then shrink as they partially dissolve, to thicken the broth into gravy. 

Simmer 20-30 mins until thick. Stir often. 

Add chicken and cook another 5 mins. Season with pepper (no salt needed because the broth is salty enough). Enjoy!



*This says it makes 4-6 servings, but I would say it easily makes 8-10 servings. So you may want to keep that in mind, if you're cooking for less. 
My problem came with the dough... It was waaay too liquidy to roll out! I tried everything - added more flour, stuck it in the freezer... In the end I just dropped spoonfuls of it into the boiling chicken stock. They still seemed to turn out fine, I just hate when things don't go according to plan, ask my husband. 

3 comments:

  1. I've never made chicken and dumplings either, but I agree with you - comfort food at its best! I'll have to check out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used canned biscuit dough & its super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Janelle - That's what I plan on doing next time! I'm glad yours turned out so good! Hopefully I'll have the same luck! :)

    ReplyDelete