Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday Tweek... Decluttering




This week, the Tuesday Tweek challenge is to declutter your home! Don't you love waking up to a clean house? When you come home from a long, hard day and being able to sit down & relax? The last thing you want to worry about is tripping over things or having to clean up before you can relax. 

With all that goes on in the world & our lives, we need our homes to be a soft place to land, emotionally & physically. I encourage you to take some time this week, to make that happen in your home!

Now, I know that this can become a sore subject for some... Maybe even myself! I think it can be difficult, because some clutter is necessary & some is not. And deciding between which of the categories our stuff falls into can be extremely difficult! And even if you have decided whether it is necessary or not, your husband may disagree! :)

But let's be honest, we all have things in our home that ARE unneccessary! Let's just stick with decluttering those things for now!


This week, challenge yourself to declutter your house this week with these few simple, small steps:



  1. Take 20 minutes to walk through every room in your house w/ a trash bag & fill it up... Old magazines, napkins, broken toy pieces, papers, etc. 
  2. Fill at least ONE trashbag with items to be donated... Old clothes, toys, shoes, extra blankets, pillows, dishes, kitchen gadgets, etc. (Most places will allow you schedule a pickup.)
  3. Find one area of your home that has constant clutter. Maybe your stairs, junk drawer, mail pile, shoe closet & put something there to contain it. A basket, a bin, for more storage ideas read THIS post.
  4. Decide on one area of your home that needs a little extra attention & clean it out thoroughly. Do it in 30 minute increments throughout the week. Throw things away, donate items, put away items that belong some where else, decide on storage options for items that belong there. 

I regularly do steps #1 and #2. I keep a donation bag in my room that I fill throughout the week with clothes that are too small, toys that never get played with, etc. This helps to assure that things to not pile up & become overwhelming.

The area that I need to focus on this week is the closet in my room. We have a huge walk-in closet, that is used for more than just our clothes & because of this it is easy for it to get messy. I have been procrastinating for quite awhile now & am promising myself that I will finish it this week. I will post before and after pics when it's finished! 



**What area have you been neglecting??? What are some of your decluttering solutions???


Linked w/:    orgjunkie.com
Making your home sing Mondays (Pic from http://organiseme.wordpress.com)

3 comments:

  1. Hopped over here from women living well.

    Ahhhhh, the never ending art of decluttering. Something I strive to do on a regular basis....yet never seem to make any progress. Thanks for the tips you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I don't like a cluttered house and prefer it clean and organized. I have often told my family to use the little minutes they have to declutter their stuff (like hubby's garage). I try to encourage them to see that little minutes add up to huge chunks of time!

    I like your suggestion of spreading the cleaning/decluttering out throughout the week. That's what I do too. Can't wait to see pictures of your "before" and after!"

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Momstheword - I'm almost embarrassed to show the 'before' pics! Lol

    ReplyDelete