Monday, October 31, 2011

Making Your Home a Haven #5





wlw


We are down our last week of the Making Your Home a Haven Challenge! I hope you have made your home a priority this past month! And that it will also help in alleviating the stress of the holidays! This challenge was meant to help create the environment you want in your home, by making it a priority while tackling some of the major problem areas in the home.


If you are just joining us, you can still commit to the challenge! Here are the past weeks:

  1. Light a candle everyday and every time you see it, pray for peace in your home.
  2. Play positive, fun, uplifting music through out the day.
  3. List a few of the clutter spots in your home and make a plan for cleaning it up... Try these 4 steps to get started! 
  4. Plan at least one family event & try to be extra affectionate this week! 

Last week our family had a few family "events"... We had a video game night with the Tony Hawk wii game, a movie night watching Field of Dreams, I had a tea party with Hannah (that was actually planned by her, but I made sure to take the time to be present) and then we had a birthday celebration for my Dad's birthday!

Life can become so chaotic and sometimes it just seems to roll on by, whether you are ready or not! Being committed to creating these special moments with your family is how you can savor your short time with them.


For our last week of the challenge, again we are going to continue with all of our other challenges. This will allow you to catch up with whatever you are still wanting to finish! (For me, it's that stinkin garage!)

    This week our focus is going to be... in the kitchen! Now, stick with me on this! Don't get discouraged, if you hate cooking or have no time!

    We all know that the kitchen is the heart of the home. No matter what everyone seems to end up in there! Maybe it's because no matter what life brings, food brings us comfort... To our soul and through sharing!

    This week cook things with pleasant aromas. Foods that when you walk in the door you are drawn to the kitchen. It doesn't matter whether you slaved over it all day or if you spent 5 minutes in the morning putting it in the crock-pot!


    Also, pick a meal the family can cook together – include everyone in a task and take pictures so everyone can remember moments in the kitchen together – test tasting, stirring, setting the table, laughing and loving. 

    Warning - Cooking with kids can definitely dry up your patience! I wouldn't recommend this everyday! Lol In light of this, be prepared... What is an easy meal that you can accomplish as a family? Check out my Recipe page for easy meal ideas!

    - A toddler can easily dump ingredients into a cold crock-pot.
    - Elementary kids can stir, get drinks & set the table.
    - Older children can obviously do more, but may be the least excited! Lovingly try to include & encourage them!
    **All the while, looking at your candle & praying for peace! Lol 

    I have mentioned before, I do have control issues! So allowing my family to help me, even when I desperately need it, is difficult for me! I do normally let the kids help with setting the table & getting the drinks! But this week I'm going to do Homemade Tortillas for the quesadillas and allow them me to help! 

    Sit down to the table, thanking everyone for their help and thanking God for this meal & time together! 

    Remove discontentment from your home or family and give thanks to God for the home God has given you in which to create a haven for your family. 

     **What would be your favorite meal to cook as a family??? Or try this week???


    Shared with:
    Making your home sing Mondays     

    3 comments:

    1. This is awesome! Thank you for the tips! It is so amazing what a candle and some Godly tunes can do for a stay at home mom!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Kelli - You are so welcome! I know for me the atmosphere effects your attitude... So why not do something about it! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I think that's a very common "mom" struggle. We want teenagers who will help around the house and know how to cook and pick up after themselves, but it is hard to have the patience and take the time to train them when they are little!

      I built my chore training time into our homeschool schedule, but even then, I still had to pray for patience, lol!

      You have some great ideas. Thank you for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

      ReplyDelete