Thursday, October 20, 2011

(Make Ahead) Egg Sandwiches


I, like most of you, have a desire to feed my family a healthy, hot breakfast every morning. BUT... I am normally running around, scrambling to make sure everyone is ready for school (a.k.a. won't embarrass me by how their dressed). 

So, in my effort to have the best of both worlds, I have been searching for easy, simple breakfast ideas! Egg Sandwich... How much simpler and healthier can you get?!?!

Of course, I've made egg sandwiches before, but these can be frozen and then ready to eat whenever! I found this idea on Pinterest. (Love that site, by the way!) But I really don't know how I haven't thought of doing it before... It's so simple! Of course, you could also eat these right away! It's a great way to save time by being able to make a lot all together!

Egg Sandwiches can easily be made with whatever ingredients you like and already have... I just used what I had on hand. You could add meat, any kind of cheese, use an english muffin, etc. The possibilities are endless! If you prefer no salt, or organic products... You have that choice!

The best part though, is the fact that this is sooo cheap! Here is my cost for the ingredients... 18 Egg's $2.47, Shredded Cheese $1.34, Butter $0.50, 12 Mini -Bagels (mine were free) $2.99 = $5.51 is enough to make 12 and have still have everything except bagels leftover!!! Compare that to about $3.00 for the fast food version!


Egg Sandwich:


Ingredients: Eggs, Cheese, Bread - bagel, english muffin, Butter - optional, Spices - salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, etc.

Heat oven to 350. Crack one egg into each section. Then add any spices you like. One of my became a scrambled egg, because the yolk broke. But there's really no reason you can't make these scrambled. Put them into the oven for 20-25 min, until the yolk is set.
Split the bread and place onto a baking sheet face up. Place into oven for about 5-10 min, until toasted and browned. They can be in the oven the same time as the eggs.
This my finished egg product.
 Once everything is done cooking, butter the bread, top with cheese, then the egg and then the top piece of bread. Stick all your sandwiches on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer, uncovered and unwrapped.  Leave them in there for about an hour.  This will give them a chance to give off some moisture.  If you were to wrap them up right away then there would be a lot of condensation, which would make them a little soggy during reheating.
Wrap them in foil or saran wrap and then in a freezer ziploc bag with the label and directions. This way everyone can know how to make them for themselves!
To Reheat: Microwave for 2 min... Flipping over 1/2 way through.

**How often do you fix a hot breakfast??? And a poptart doesn't count! :)

Shared on:
Hearth & Soul Hop

3 comments:

  1. I eat a hot breakfast almost every morning. But then, I'm not rushing to get out the door and only have myself to worry about. I do fried egg sandwiches for breakfast relatively often, and I might have to try how they work with freezing and reheating in the toaster oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do something similar to this with a huge batch of scrambled eggs and flour tortillas. Throw in some onions, peppers and cheese and freeze them!

    Recipe Linkup: blog.thesingingsparrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachel - I just made those for my freezer, too! I'm posting those next week! :) Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete