Have you ever tried meal planning? Do you think it's pointless? Do you not see any benefits of meal planning??? I used to feel the same way!
Or maybe you are committed to meal planning? You do it every week? Do you ever dread making your meal plan??? I know I do sometimes!
No matter which category you fall into this should be a motivating post for you! Maybe you should print it out and put it on your fridge as a reminder!
There are no doubt a few downsides to meal planning...
- It takes time to sit down and plan your meals
- It requires you to make a more specific shopping list
So there you have it... Two things that can honestly sometimes make you feel like you never want to meal plan again! BUT... Those 2 'cons' do not outweigh all of the positives!
Here are 20 positives that I have come up with:
- Less likely to eat out = SAVING MONEY
- More likely to sit & eat as a family
- More likely to eat healthier
- I feel less stressed about cooking knowing that I have planned my meals according to my schedule.
- I can plan my meal plan based on what I already have at home so that I don't have to buy as much at the store. = SAVING MONEY
- It eliminates running back to the store for more items to complete a meal. = SAVING TIME & MONEY
- Ensures you only buy what you will use & not waste anything = SAVING MONEY
- Never have that dreaded moment of standing in the middle of your kitchen trying come up with a last minute meal idea off the top of my head, while everyone is telling you that they're "starving"!!!
- I enjoy cooking more, because I like to add in a few new recipes to try each week.
- I always have the ingredients in the house for whatever I’m making because I make up my menu plan before going grocery shopping. = SAVING TIME
- I always know what meat needs to be thawed before a meal. = SAVING TIME
- I can easily plan my weekly menu around what is on sale that particular week. = SAVING TIME & MONEY
- I plan quick and easy meals for busy nights (especially crockpot meals which can be prepared in the morning when I’m not rushed and have more energy). = SAVING TIME
- My kids and husband enjoy knowing in advance what is for dinner.
- Helps me to avoid last minute, unhealthy, desperation meals.
- I don’t have to spend any more time in the kitchen than is absolutely necessary. = SAVING TIME
- Knowing in advance what is coming up allows me to often prep one meal while making another. = SAVING TIME
- Dinner is organized so that I know what time we will eat every night!
- If I plan to eat out, I can make sure it is somewhere I enjoy and that I take advantage of discounts or coupons (kids eat free nights, BOGO meals, etc.) = SAVING MONEY
- It gives me something to blog about every Monday :)
So there you have it! If you have never meal planned or struggle to stay committed to planning, I hope this can help be your motivation! It does take a few extra minutes of planning in the beginning of the week, but it saves a lot of time and stress through out the week trying to figure out what to eat when your low on time and patience!
A huge reason that I can spend so little money on feeding my large family is because I meal plan!
If you are interested in trying to Meal Plan or want to know my process read THIS post. To get started you can download a FREE Menu Planner HERE.
*So what about you??? Do you meal plan? What other positives do you see? What keeps you motivated? If you haven't tried meal planning before, would you consider trying???