Saturday, October 8, 2011

New Recipe of the Week... Slow Cooked Sticky Chicken


So, I was immediately drawn to try this recipe because it is made in the crockpot AND it only takes 4 hours to cook! The crockpot is the main way I cook for our game nights. Otherwise, we'd come home at 8pm & eat cereal for dinner. Lol 

This meal is simple, made with ingredients you probably keep stocked in your pantry & is very pretty. My family probably didn't notice how pretty it looked because they devoured it! The chicken was sweet & tangy and falling off the bone because it was so juicy! 

This is the compliment my husband tried to give me while talking to the kids, "This is the best meal your mother has made in a long time!" I finished his sentence with, "So enjoy & eat up, because who knows the next time this will happen." Haha He more meant, this is the first delicious thing he's been able to eat in weeks after being on a diet! 

Anyway, it is being demanded that I add this to our Meal Plan rotation. I hope you enjoy it, too! Go HERE to see a list of all my new recipes I've tried! Let me know if you try anything or if you have any suggestions!

Slow Cooked Sticky Chicken:


  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of minced ginger or 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne or red pepper
  • 3 lbs chicken, breast, thighs, legs, etc.
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste = 1/2 small can


Combine 1/4 cup sugar,  2 tablespoon soy sauce , ginger, garlic, and cayenne pepper in small bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat.

Place in a slow cooker and cook on low for about 4 hours or until done.

When done place chicken in a broiler proof dish. I used a baking sheet, covered with foil & sprayed with cooking spray. This makes for easy clean up.

Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, water, and tomato paste, and remaining soy sauce. 

Pour on chicken and cook under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until chicken is slightly crisp. But keep in eye on this while it is cooking under the broiler, things can cook quickly when broiling. This is what gives it the 'sticky'.

**I used thighs without the skin for this, which was delish, but you can use any cut of chicken. I prepared the 2nd sauce (in a liquid measuring cup) & the baking sheet right after putting the chicken in the crockpot. This way when we were ready to eat, I just put the chicken on the the sheet, easily poured the sauce on top & stuck it in the oven. I served this with mashed potatoes, but next time I'm going to make white rice. I think it will taste good mixed together! And this is definitely a great recipe for entertaining. Enjoy!

 Shared on: Hearth & Soul Hop

4 comments:

  1. mmm I found you via Penniless Parenting Hearth & Soul blog hop. These look easy and delicious I will be trying them next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful - I love the spicy sweet vibe going on! It's great it uses store cupboard ingredients and you can make it in the crock pot too. Thank you for sharing your delicious Slow Cooked Sticky Chicken with the Hearth and Soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sticky chicken! This is also one of my features, thanks for sharing with the hearth and soul.

    ReplyDelete