Monday, November 14, 2011

Tuesday Tweek... Reverse


Your family just texted you and said they're in the area and would like to stop by... You say, "Yes!" And then as you hang up, you realize your house is a mess! Ahhh! It becomes a mad dash to pick up as fast as possible. Clear the counters and tables, pick up everything on the floor, put the couch pillows back, shove the laundry in the closet, spray some air freshener and pray no one opens a closet or bedroom door!

What about when you plan to have a day of cleaning. (I normally do this Thursday or Friday to try to get everything done and out of the way for the weekend!) I start downstairs... Starting with the kitchen, living room, and bathroom. I pick up, declutter things, wipe down surfaces and do the floors. By the time I'm finished with that, my cleaning time is normally over.

And so the upstairs is left undone, once again!!!

Does this sound familiar to any of you??? Your cleaning focus is always on the noticeable, seen areas of your home. Which is natural!

When your time is limited of course it seems logical to clean that first!

But the problem in the "hidden" areas of your home do not get any better! Actually, it's quite the opposite! The clutter areas grow, the dust gets thicker, the rooms stay a wreck, the master bathrooms are embarrassing, etc.

So how can we fix this?

1 - Well, the best way is to just clean your whole house! Right??? But if you don't have time for that, which is how we got here in the 1st place, then what can you do? 

2 - Maintaining the bedrooms/upstairs, so that you don't have to worry about finding time, is another great solution... I try to wipe down the bathrooms every night & have the kids clean their rooms every night. I have the best of intentions, but with a busy schedule, some nights we are rushing home to get in bed before 11pm, those things don't make it to the top of my list. And after a few days of this happening, the mess starts growing! 

*My advice is to START your cleaning reversed!*

Start with the unseen areas... NOT in the living area!

For me, this means:
- clean my room & bathroom
- kids clean their rooms & bathroom
- I vacuum the whole upstairs & then the stairs.

I work my way downstairs.

Don't clean anything in the living areas until the unseen areas are first done! If you are having company, this will motivate you to move quickly, so you can get the living areas clean!

I've found this to work GREAT for me! 

Now, I completely get that a lot of my readers are working women/mothers or mothers of young children. You may be wondering how in the world could you spend a whole day cleaning, when you can barely maintain your homes daily needs!?!

Break up the task! Decide that you are going to spend 20 minutes, cleaning up your bedroom, hallway or bathroom. Or pick one task that you keep meaning to do and complete it that day!


Here are a few things that might help you get started:
  • Put away ALL the laundry... No washing, just put away all the loads of clean laundry that are still in the dryer and in baskets.
  • Clean the showers.
  • Empty all the trash.
  • Iron the pile of clothes you have waiting to be hung up.
  • Wash the bed sheets and make all the beds.
  • Clean the bathroom floors.
  • Vacuum the stairs.

**Make a list and try to see how many you can get done by the weekend! Do you have unseen areas of your house that are never clean??? How else do you try to keep these areas clean???


Shared with:



For more organizing tips checkout www.orgjunkie.com








Tip Junkie handmade projectsMaking your home sing Mondays
Celebrating Family

Found the Marbles

6 comments:

  1. THis is an awesome post, tons of great ideas. I actually have a post that is going up tomorrow that shows how I am getting it done..being one of those moms of young kids. Just picking one or two things a day (from the list of things that need to happen weeklY) to get done. Hopefully it works. ;-) Oh, better go now. Those bathrooms are calling my name to be cleaned!

    Stopping over from the Tip Junkie's link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! We constantly do this too...our upstairs isn't wrecked but I sure as heck don't want anyone up there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post! I have always said that if family or friends were coming to visit me then the condition of my home shouldn't matter but also am a fairly anal person about the common area's in my home being somewhat picked up/clean....just in case! LOL... I am looking for bloggers to participate in 25 Day's of Christmas Blogshare...check out the post and leave a comment if you are interested in participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bedrooms of my home are always last priority. I'm going to try this cleaning backwards thing. :)

    www.intentionalwomanhood.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you all enjoyed the post and found it so helpful! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FWIW, we have our cleaning days on two days- upstairs on Saturay & downstairs on Monday.
    Katie G

    ReplyDelete