Thursday, February 2, 2012

Grocery Savings Tips - #1 & #2

This month we are going to start a new daily series about how to save money on your grocery bill!



These will be mostly basic tips. Things that are not new information, but also maybe things that you don't regularly practice. I know that some things seem so insignificant that you just decide to not waste your time. But actually these things will range from saving you a few dollars to hundreds!

 I would suggest that you at least try each one!

Remember that every little bit adds up!

I look forward to hearing your feedback... I want to know if you follow any of these tips yourself!

Since I missed the 1st of the month while away for my Grandmother's funeral, we'll start off with 2 tips!





Grocery Savings Tip #1 - Decide on a Budget



Maybe you think you already do this... But let's first talk about what a budget is NOT!

*A budget is NOT an estimated amount of money you will spend!

I used to sit down every month and write out my budget. Then I'd go to the store, grab everything I wanted. Get in line and when the total was over budget I never blinked an eye. By the end of the month, I would wonder why we didn't seem to have any extra money, even though according to our paycheck & budget we should have extra. Can you relate??? 

A budget is the max limit of what you will spend! Now I know that no one likes the idea of having to limit themselves. People even try to come up with all kinds of fun words to use instead of "budget, just to make themselves feel better!  But let's get real for a moment... That's life! Put on your big girl pants and quit with the tantrums of "I want what I want, when I want it!"

You will survive! I promise! In fact, you will actually thrive, because saving money gives you extra money for other areas! And wouldn't you rather spend extra money on other fun things instead of groceries???


Grocery Savings Tip #2 - Put Things Back

This is extremely simple, but often overlooked! And goes hand in hand with tip #1... You should never get up to the register and be surprised by the total price! 

As you shop you should keep a running tab of the cost of the items you put into your cart. It can be written on a piece of paper, added up on your calculator, or just keep a mental note (not suggested if you're shopping with kids).

If the things you want are going to cost more than your budgeted amount, you will have to put things back OR buy a cheaper option! Even if it's just over by a few dollars... Remember every little bit adds up!

I just blew your mind didn't I??? :)

I promise you there is always something in your cart that is not necessity! Do you need that many cereals or can you put at least one back? Could you wait to buy that cleaning product? Do you really need those chips?



**How about you??? Do you shop with a real budget? Have you ever put things back? Did I offend you by telling you to "put on your big girl pants"??? 



Shared with:
Making your home sing Mondays

4 comments:

  1. I always have an exact budget for groceries, and I know of only 1-2 times in the past year when I have gone over it (generally by a dollar or two at the very end of the month, for an item I really need to complete a dish). I find it is pretty easy for me to keep track of what my current bill is just by rounding up to the nearest whole or half dollar and adding in my head. And, by rounding up, it means I tend to save more than I think I'm going to. All those pennies really do add up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K-Kiora - Rounding is a great tip! I do that too while shopping. It is a great way to estimate for tax & to make sure you are under budget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love what you said here: "You should never get up to the register and be surprised by the total price!" Amen, sistah!

    I have to say that I really need to be more diligent about my grocery shopping budget. As you said, it's a max limit not an estimate! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by... And I'm glad I could help motivate you! ;)

    ReplyDelete