Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Harris Teeter Trip 03/16

Total Paid = $128.88
TOTAL Saved = $101.43
SAVED w/ Coupons = $22.33






You may be shocked by the amount I paid... It doesn't really look like savings, right??? Well this should last me the rest of the month and more, except for maybe some produce. I planned the entire month of meals and so I bought everything I need this week. I am also stocked up on meat.

I will post on Wednesday the details of monthly meal planning... It's not for everyone. I'll list the pros and cons.

I have been avoiding using coupons lately. Sometimes this happens to me. I go through spurts of dreading cutting coupons and matching sales. But then when I go, I don't want to buy anything, because I know how much I could be saving if I had brought my coupons. It's a love/hate relationship. 

So I decided I needed to bite the bullet and cut coupons, match sales and fill my house with food. When your cabinets are empty it's easier to be tempted to eat out, because you don't have anything that is appealing to your taste buds. For some reason I love the feeling of having a full cabinet with foods I bought for cheap! :)

This is a long list, but definitely worth the look. Especially if you plan on shopping at Harris Teeter OR if you want to get an idea of a good "buy price" for these items. I did make a few mistakes, which cost me $5.00. I'm blaming shopping with my 2 girls for being distracted! Lol I'll probably go back and try to make it right. Also, we ran out of toilet paper and dish soap, so I had to buy those for a higher than regular price.


Here's the details:




(3) Fruit by the Foot eVic Weekend Special $0.97 ea.
 - $0.50/2 eVic coupon
 - $0.50/2 General Mills coupon
= $0.47 ea.

(2) Gushers $0.97 + $2.00
- $0.50/2 eVic coupon
- $0.50/2 General Mills coupon
= $0.74 ea.
*Mistake #1 - I only wanted 2 fruit by the foot. It would have saved me $2.00*

Trix BOGO $1.87 ea.
 - $0.50 eVic coupon

Cheerios w/ Yogurt BOGO $1.99 ea.

(2) Honey Nut Cheerios $3.00 ea.
 - $0.50 eVic coupon
*Mistake #2 - I only wanted one of these. It would have saved me $3.00*

- $1.00/3 General Mills Cereals
= $1.97 ea.

(2) GM Cereal Bars $2.00 ea.
 - $0.50 eVic coupon
 - $0.50 eVic coupon
 - $1.00 General Mills coupon
 - $1.00 General Mills coupon
= $0.50 ea.

(5) Classico Pasta Sauces Buy 2 Get 3 FREE = $1.28 ea.
 - $0.50/2 coupon
= $1.08 ea.

Kruncher's Potato Chips $2.50
 - $0.75 coupon
= $1.00

(2) Ken's Salad Dressing BOGO $1.70 ea.
 - $1.00/2 coupon
= $1.20 ea.

French's Spicy Mustard $1.25 ea.
 - $0.30 coupon
= $0.65

(2) Duncan Hines Cake Mix $1.27 ea.
 - $0.50 ea.
= $0.27 ea.

(2) Aussie Shampoo $2.99
 - $2.00 ea.
= $0.99 ea.

(2) Sargento Sliced Cheese $2.99
 - $1.00 ea. coupon
= $1.99 ea.


(10) HT Shredded Cheese Buy 2 Get 3 FREE = $1.12 ea.
*I know it's a lot, but we use cheese for just about everything and this is a great price! I really wanted to get even more.


(2) Eggland's Eggs 18 ct. $3.00 ea.
 - $0.35 ea. coupon
= $2.30 ea.

McCain Potatoes BOGO $1.72
+ $1.00 Saving Star deposit = $0.72


McCain Sweet Potatoes Fries BOGO $1.72
+ $1.00 Saving Star deposit = $0.72


(2) DiGiorno Pizza eVic Price $3.97

(2) Purina Dog Chow BOGO 2/$16.99
*ONLY buy when half price!

(3) HT Tomato Sauce $0.57 ea.


Smucker's Strawberry Jam BOGO $2.19 ea.


McCormick Paprika BOGO $1.62 ea.


Cottonelle 12pk. $6.97
*Not my ideal price, but we were out!


Dawn Dish Soap $0.99
*Again, I usually buy this for free or $0.25, but we were out.

Ramen Noodle Soup 4/$1.00


HT Pull Ups $7.77


HT Instant Brown Rice $1.97


KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce $1.50

Pepperoni $2.50

Boar's Head Turkey deli $7.99/lb. = $7.91

Ham Deli $7.99/lb. = 4.31

HT Cole Slaw $1.67

"Old" Tangerines $0.99

(2) HT Bread $1.27 ea.

Arnold Sandwich Thins BOGO $1.84 ea.

Potato Rolls $3.49







4 comments:

  1. This is great, and I understand the need to save money in this economy, but I can't help but notice that the majority of these are processed, high sugar, chemical filled, weight causing (wheat), "food" items. Since the economy is such a mess, the way I save money is by making sure my dollars are spent on the highest quality food that I can buy, which will mean the best nutrition and better health, which saves money too! Eating real food, veggies, fruits, nuts, organic, grass-fed meats, and dairy, free range eggs, and raw cheeses, purchased thru a local co-op and local farmers market, are usually the same cost, cheaper, (at the farmers market), or only slightly higher than the processed stuff shown here. And you'll feel better, be healthier and have more energy! Just my opinion. May not be everyone's cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand your stance, but I do beg to differ... There are definitely a few unhealthy items, which are mostly convenience items and the gummies I couldn't resist at $0.25 a box. :) BUT the majority of this trip is bread, cheese and meal ingredients (like tomato sauce, dressing, etc.). If you notice at the top, I said I will only have to go back for produce & dairy and I already have a bunch of meat from other posted shopping trips.

    If you look at our meal plans that I post, you can see that we eat a very healthy balance. Fruit & veggies everyday, mostly whole grains, low sugar, high protien, etc.

    Now I don't strive to buy grass-fed, free range, organic foods. I understand the arguments for them, but right now I'm just not there. :)

    I realize that most "couponers" do stock up on mainly unhealthy foods. But that's actually exactly why I started this blog... To show people that you can save AND eat healthy.

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing your opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, believe it or not, this is the first night of reading a blog, other than my wife's. I have to agree with the first comment. Way too much processed foods, which not only has the effects of the items they mentioned, but also MSG, and hidden MSG, labeled as yeast extract, maltodextrin, or "natural flavors." We stopped buying processed foods and switched to 80% organic. I now make most of the items that you have shown at home for my family, I have to shop for fewer items, I am teaching my children great eating habits, I have beaten diabetes, and combined, my wife and I have lost 150 pounds in the past 6 months. Oh yeah, I would buy the ingredients to make the stuff on your table for about 75% of what you paid. Sure, I spend more time preparing meals (30 minutes instead of 15), but I am happier, healthier, and saving more. Please do some research on getting away from processed foods and all the "safe" ingredients they have in them. I too was a coupon shopper, and proudly displayed my receipts. You can follow us on her new blog with our recipes and what we are learning at www.thefarmerstaft.com. Thank you, Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your health changes! That's great.

    As for your opinion... All I can say is to each his own. My family has no health or weight problems. And I find that I am happiest when we are eating good foods and I'm not stressing over finding time to be "Mom of the year" by making everything homemade. Nothing wrong with doing that, but with our lifestyle it just doesn't work. And I'm okay with that.

    Thanks for stopping by. I will check out your wife's blog!

    ReplyDelete