Friday, April 20, 2012

Once a Month Cooking

So far we've covered two in our Once a Month Series:


I've enjoyed hearing from many of you that you have thought about doing this or have started or have been inspired! I hope that you try and then share you success or even your issues you come across.


Who wouldn't love to have a freezer that looked like this??? Not only is it spotless and organized... But it is packed full with meals ready to eat! A little bit of time in the beginning, turns into dinner time being quick and easy!

Once a Month Cooking has definitely been the most difficult for me to accomplish. I know my family would benefit from this tremendously with how busy we are. BUT... With being that busy I have a hard time finding the time to accomplish everything. So I have tweeked it a bit for myself.

Traditionally, once a month cooking would be to gather all your ingredients for your monthly meal plan and spend a day cooking and freezing everything. By the end of the day you have an entire months worth of meals and most cooking done.

Now I don't think there is anything wrong with this, but it's just not going to work for me right now. So here is my process... Which is still a work in progress. Apparently, the only way for this to work is to actually do it! You can't just plan it! Hmm...

1. Make my Monthly Meal Plan

2. Do my Monthly Shopping Trip

3. Plan out what can be made ahead...
  • I divide up my meat to freeze after shopping... This way I don't have to thaw out more meat than needed.
  • I add seasonings to the meat
  • Throughout the month I make other items that can be frozen... Egg Sandwiches, Waffles, other dough mixes
  • Sometimes I will cook double the meet and freeze the extra.

I wish that I was more diligent about all of this. That is my goal for the month!

Here are some recipes that I use for the freezer:

Homemade Tortillas
Overnight Chicken - Crock pot or Oven


**This month I will be posting new freezer recipes! I was thinking of starting a blog hop for these types of recipes. Hope you'll join me and start spreading the word!



Shared with:
 Making your home sing Mondays

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Breana, once a month meal planning sounds great but not sure it will fit our lifestyle. I really like the other tips you brought up--a monthly meal plan is so helpful. Thanks!

    Carly @ ryandcar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too freezer cook but not once a month and not for all meals. I have a balance though that works for us.

    ReplyDelete