Friday, May 18, 2012

Chicken & Bean Burritos - Freezer Friendly



This recipe is a Pinterest find! I was first attracted, because I've been looking for things I can make ahead, freeze and pull out when needed. This recipe seemed to offer all of that! But I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about how much I would really like them.... But we all loved them!

They were easy to make, cheap, quick to heat up, delicious and very filling! That's my kind of meal!

This is a great meal for dinner, a dinner on the go or a quick lunch or snack!

Here is a list of all my new recipes!





Chicken & Bean Burritos:
  • 2 Cans of Refried Beans
  • 4 cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
  • 1/2 cup Salsa
  • Shredded Cheese
  • Tortillas - Homemade Tortillas






For the chicken I cooked a Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot the other night for dinner. This was all the leftover meat. It was about a pound and a half. I put it in my Kitchen Aid mixer for easy shredding. It worked great and fast! I shredded it really fine so that it would blend easily with the beans. I'm weird about texture and I didn't want it to be chunky.


Next just dump in everything except cheese and tortillas into large bowl to mix!


Mix until consistent. I have to admit that this doesn't look super appetizing! :)


Fill tortillas with cheese and bean mix. Then roll up tortillas tight. I used Homemade Tortillas.


I put 3 burritos in a plastic sandwich bag and then put those inside a labeled gallon size freezer bag. This will make it easy to take out one at a time. You could also individually wrap in foil. But with the bags, I can just refill them when I make more burritos.


To heat:
- In microwave covered with a moist paper towel for a minute or two. The paper towel keeps it from drying out.
- In the oven place as many as you would like in a glass dish. Heat oven to 350 and cook for about 20 - 40 minutes depending on how many you are heating.


I hope you enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. These look delicious and I really appreciate the convenience of freezer friendly recipes.

    BTW, I didn't see a link back one of Hearth and Soul Hop hosts. When you have a chance, please add a link back to one of the hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe looks and sounds delicious - real comfort food! It's wonderful to have things ready in advance in the freezer.

    When you get a chance, I'd be really grateful if you could add a link back to one of us at Hearth and Soul to this post. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy this looks great.

    Check out my food blog
    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete