Wednesday, May 16, 2012

God's Promise to Parents



"This is gonna hurt me more than it's going to hurt you!" 

Did you ever hear this from your Mom or Dad??? Or how about this one...

"I'm doing this because I love you!"

I can remember my Mom saying both of these to me. WHAT?!?! *cue the eye rolling* Back then I could have sworn she had lost it!

Fast forward to now and I've finally been "lucky" enough to know what that means!

Disciplining your children is hard work! And it doesn't seem very fulfilling either!

It is so much easier to just ignore bad behavior. My husband and I are constantly busy and exhausted. We could easily do it. Every once in awhile we could just yell at them to, "Stop it!"

But as Christians, that's not what we're called to.....

~ Proverbs 22:6
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

We cannot ignore misbehaving or back talk. We can't just count down our time left until our children are grown. We can't just do the bare minimum!

We can't even just PRAY for our children! We have to TRAIN our children!

This actually calls for another action, too... Study God's Word!

How can we be capable to "train them in the way they should go", if we have lost our way???

~ Proverbs 29:15
"The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother."

I want nothing more than to "impart wisdom" to my children, but in order to do that I must be looking to the Source! 

I have quickly learned that parenting is not a job that can be done alone!

If I am not properly equipped with God's tools then I will be unable to do my job. 

While this may sound like an insurmountable job, don't lose hope. For after the work... Comes the reward!

Once you train your child, they "will not turn from it."

So as I feel I don't have the energy to give another correction. Or I just can't bare to see my child be upset and cry over being punished. Or I feel I am wasting my time constantly correcting the same bad behavior over and over again... I will remember and trust that God always keeps His promises!


5 comments:

  1. I completely agree! THanks for sharing.

    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! Thanks for the reminder as I guide my 3 year old yet again to turn the light off as she leaves the room. Ha! I would love to have you link this up to Titus 2 Tuesday next week on Cornerstone Confessions.

    Hopping over from Women Living Well.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made some terrible parenting mistakes - mostly not discipline and training consistently. I'm thankful for God's mercy and the years I have left to get this right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to be consistent sometimes, especially when you're tired. But so worth it in the long run! I love what you said here "For after the work... Comes the reward!"

      In many ways I feel like we are there now as parents. One son just graduated from college and the other is still in college. We love them and even LIKE them, lol! We're DONE raising them, basically, and are now more in guiding mode should they ask for our advice (and sometimes even if they don't, hahaha)

      Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday! I didn't see a courtesy link back to the meme anywhere on your blog, so it'd be great if you could do that. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I am very convinced of what you are saying :) thanks for sharing your thoughts! God bless you and your family more and more :)

    calvaryoakville

    ReplyDelete