Friday, May 11, 2012

Homemade Granola



As I have shared before, I am trying my best to take small steps to eat healthier. I wouldn't say that our diet was completely unhealthy before, but there's always room for improvements to be made! A part of that improvement is to make more things homemade.

Through Pinterest I found a ton of Homemade Granola recipes. This is a good basic one that I found. But there are all different ways you can tweak it to your taste buds!

This is also super frugal! I bought the oats for only $2.97 and it's made about 3 batches. The honey was only $2.50 and that will be good for about 3 batches, too. So that's only about $2.00 a batch considering the other ingredients! Also, a little goes a long way and is very filling.

Beware: This won't last long in your house! My kids love it! There are endless ways to to enjoy this... With milk as cereal, baked in milk, in yogurt, with fruit, with dried fruit, etc.

Enjoy!

Here's the recipe:




Homemade Granola:
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Canola Oil - or butter or coconut oil 
  • 1/2 cup Honey
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla
  • 7 cups Old Fashioned Oats - NOT quick cooking




Heat oven to 375. Combine Brown Sugar, Oil, and Honey in small pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.



Remove from heat right when it starts to bubble/boil. Add in Cinnamon and Vanilla and stir.



While waiting for it to boil grease a 9x13 glass pan. (Do NOT forget to grease.) Put in 5 cups of Oats. Pour mixture over granola and mix until evenly coated. Pat down evenly.



Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and mix. Pat back down again. Turn oven off and replace granola. Leave overnight or at least 5-6 hours.



Break up with spoon. I've made this a few times and each time the texture is a little bit different. *Sometimes it's really hard sometimes it's softer. So don't think it's ruined if it feels stuck to the dish. Sometimes I've had to put some muscle into it to get it out. Other times it comes out super easy!



Store in airtight container.

Variations:
- add 1/2 c. - 3/4 c. Peanut Butter to the pot (maybe eliminate the cinnamon)
- add in Nuts with granola before baking
- add in Dried Fruit after the first 10 minutes in the oven
- use Applesauce instead of oil
- add 1 tsp.Cocoa Powder to pot mixture
- use Almond Flavoring instead of vanilla
- add Chocolate or Peanut Butter Chips after 1st 10 minutes in the oven



5 comments:

  1. Your granola sounds great, and I love the idea of adding peanut butter chips to it, I've never done that before! I love making granola at home, so much better (and better for you!) than store bought! I'll have to make some soon again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum Could you replace the brown sugar with something like steveia? I am trying to get my family away from sugar. Would it taste as good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granola sounds delicious, and I love the variations too. What a frugal, healthy and delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granola looks great. The variations sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paige - I'm not sure if substituting would work. the brown sugar and honey makes a 'syrup'. But if you try it let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete