Thursday, June 21, 2012

Easy NO Bake Homemade Granola Bars



I have started to try to make more things homemade.... For a few different reasons.
  1. Ever since I start doing my Monthly Meal Plan and Monthly Shopping, I've realized that if I make things at home my money can go farther. Remember you always pay for convenience!
  2. For the last few months I've been trying to take baby steps towards serving my family healthier options. Cooking at home makes this a little easier. I can control exactly what goes into the recipe.
  3. And I guess if I'm going to Pin a million recipes on Pinterest I might as well do something with them, right?!?!


Granola bars are definitely something that my family loves, but I've pretty much stopped buying them. The portions have gotten smaller and the price has gotten higher. They are full of sugar and they're not very filling anyway.

At first, when I made these, I was thinking it was a total waste, but apparently I just wasn't patient enough to let them set. ;)

I made them again today! Can't wait for them to be done! I doubled the recipe and tweaked it a little bit. They are really so easy! If you've made the Homemade Granola, it's basically the same thing just no oven.

Easy NO Bake Homemade Granola Bars:




  • 1/2 c. Canola Oil - could use veg. oil, just less healthy or use butter.
  • 1/2 c. Honey
  • 2/3 c. Packed Brown Sugar
  • 4 c. Old Fashioned Oats - you could also use Quick Cooking Oats, but it's not as healthy.
  • 2 c. Crispy Rice Cereal - I'll now be looking to stock up when these are on sale
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla
  • Chocolate Chips and/or Peanut Butter


In bowl combine Oats & Crispy Rice Cereal. Grease jelly roll pan. (A.K.A. pan with a "lip" as opposed to a cookie sheet that has no sides.)

In a small pot combine Brown Sugar, Oil, and Honey over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat right when it starts to bubble/boil. Stir in Vanilla... And/or Peanut Butter.

Pour mixture over granola and mix until evenly coated.

Pat down evenly in pan. *If you decide to half the recipe make sure you push to one side & it is as high as the lip. You also may have to do this if your pan is too high. If they're too thin they won't stay together.

Cool on a countertop for about 2 hours or until they are set BEFORE cutting into bars. *This is where I had issues the 1st time. I couldn't wait. If at 2 hours they still aren't set you can leave them another hour or put them in the fridge for a few minutes.

Cut with knife to whatever size you like. I did squares. Store in containers or bags.

ENJOY! 


Original recipe source.

Shared with:
Hearth & Soul Hop

7 comments:

  1. These look good!!! I am going to have to try these for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your No-Bake Granola Bars sound delicious - perfect for summer when you don't want to use the oven too much! What a delicious and wholesome combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loves these bars. And they are perfect since it's 4,000 degrees here and I'd rather not use my oven. :) Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you use unsweetened applesauce instead of all the oil ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure how that would work, because I think the oil helps it to stick. BUT... I'm not an expert! So I don't think it could hurt to try. Worst case scenario it doesn't stick well and you eat it with a spoon! :)

      Delete