Friday, August 24, 2012

Why I Do What I Do



Right now, as I sit on the floor matching a basket full of socks for the millionth time it can make me have a moment of, "Why am I doing this? Nobody even appreciates this. They just expect it. What's the point?" 

Matching socks is not the only time I think about this.... Sometimes when wiping up the peanut butter and jelly off the table, or picking up the dirty socks and towels off the floor, or when dusting all the decorations that clearly no one else in the house cares about!

I'm not alone, right? Tell me you have those moments, too???

So what keeps me from blowing off these things and focusing on what I want to do? Because I love my family and I desire to serve God! 

~ John 13:34 ~
"So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other."

We are to love others with a love like Christ's.

How did Christ love? Christ was a servant to all those around him! He washed his disciples feet, He healed the sick, He spoke to the outcasts, and He fed those around him. Being a servant is who you are, it's not just what you do. Volunteering at church or giving to charities is great. But being a true servant starts in your every day life.

~ Phillipians 2:5-8 ~
"You should have the same attitude toward one another that Christ Jesus had, who though he existed in the form of God did not regard equality with God as something to be grasped, but emptied himself by taking on the form of a slave, by looking like other men, and by sharing in human nature. He humbled himself, by becoming obedient to the point of death – even death on a cross!"

Christ came to earth to live as a man, so that he could better show His love and better serve us! He even died on a cross! How much more selfless can you get??

Does this mean that those we serve are always deserving of what we do for them? No. By serving those around us, we are serving Him! We are not serving others for their sake.  

We serve to reflect Christ!

You are serving in all the little things you do throughout the day. Every time you do the laundry, cook, clean, carpool, wipe noses, run errands, change another diaper and every other little thing!

Now, sometimes I find myself doing all my responsibilities and getting everything done... But with a terrible attitude! I complain about how much I have on my schedule and look for pity from others. I envy others that seem to have it easier than me. I'm frustrated when I don't have time in my day to do what I want to do.

~ Colossians 3:23 ~
"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people."

Serving is NOT crossing things off the "To-Do List"! Serving is willingly sacrificing my wants and desires by doing something helpful for someone else purely out of love! Not out of self-gain! Without expecting anything in return! Doing my best even when I don't receive a "Thank you!"



As I finish matching these socks, I smile. Knowing that my family won't think twice when they find their sock drawer full. And that's okay, because God has not missed a single moment of my servanthood.

I don't write this because I happily sacrifice for others constantly and want you to learn from my perfect example. I write this, because it's on my heart and I feel it may touch your heart!



Shared with:

PhotobucketMaking your home sing Mondays

1 comment:

  1. Heart touched. :) I loathe matching socks. Great post! God doesn't miss a single hunt for the missing sock! :)

    ReplyDelete