It seems it is natural that when you attend a wedding it automatically brings up all the thoughts of your own wedding. The things you loved. The things you didn't love. The things that when starting your marriage you had wish you would of known. And the things your happy you were blissfully ignorant to!
If I knew then, what I know now... Here is what I would say to myself:
- Your sex life will never be what you think it will be... At times it will be better than you imagined & at other times it will be worse than you ever thought possible. Don't get discouraged. But always try to say "Yes!"
- Don't be afraid to show emotions. Be vulnerable. Be open. It's more connected to sex than you realize.
- Talk about your responsibilities around the house. Don't assume anything!
- Always give yourself time apart from your husband throughout the week. Whether it's your Mom's house, coffee with a friend or grocery shopping alone. Encourage the same for your husband.
- Don't feel bad that you can't be the same friend you were when you were single. Your marriage and husband need a lot of attention. Especially, during this time of adjustment. Relationships change and that's okay.
- You can only control you! Whenever there is a problem or argument... Do what you can to fix it. Always focus on what changes you can make!
- Compromising, apologizing, forgiving and agreeing to disagree are things to embrace!
- The desired result of an argument should never be to win! That means your husband is losing.
- Do NOT compare your marriage with any others!!! No relationship is perfect! Just because you don't see their struggles, doesn't mean they don't have them! Focus on what works for your marriage!
- Let God be the center of your marriage. Invite him from day one. Don't wait until things get tough... And they will.
What would you say to yourself on your wedding day???