Monday, December 17, 2012

Defining Priorities in Life



Man! It feels like forever since I have written on my blog. I have thought about it almost every day. I have so many topics swirling around in my head that I want to write about. Since I've been stuck in bed with morning sickness and feeling faint, I haven't been able to take care of any of my regular responsibilities around the house (I can barely even shower regularly), blogging just hasn't happened.

I'm finally starting to feel a little better! Thank God! Or at least every day is different instead of the same awful days. Having it come and go is a lot more manageable. Although, when I do feel well I still am scared to do much for fear of starting to feel bad.

So slowly, but surely I am trying to get back to normal. It's hard to not be able to do everything. I need to realize the fact that I just cannot physically do everything. And I am working on being content with that. 

Because really in the great scheme of things... The health of myself and this new baby are far more important than my floors being vacuumed or dishes piling up in the sink.

This is not the only time I have felt like this... There have been plenty of other times when I've been sick or when I have a lot of school work or overwhelmed with other activities or holidays. Realistically, no one is going to be able to do it all. And that's okay. 

I'm sure you've heard the analogy of filling up a jar with rocks, then pebbles, and then sand. But if you fill it with sand first there will be no room for other things. You must first decide what the rocks are in your life.


Here are my "big rocks":
  1. Quality time spent w/ my husband, kids, family and friends.
  2. Time w/ God.
  3. Strong marriage.
  4. Consistent parenting.
  5. Staying healthy & fit.
  6. Saving money.
  7. Good grades in school for the kids and myself.
  8. Warm home - clean, nicely decorated & organized.
  9. Healthy & cheap meals.
  10. My blog.

These things help define my everyday life.  These are the things that I try to stay focused on throughout the day. But when I want to freak out because the laundry is piling up I remember I don't want to take it out on my husband or kids or neglect my school work to get it done. Of course my family needs clean clothes, but a few piles never hurt anyone. :)

Another example would be that my kids play sports. While they are very important there are times when we don't all make it to a game or a practice has to be skipped for things that are of higher priority.

Also, realize that I have 10 things on my "big rock" list does not mean every single one of them gets attention throughout the day. There will never be enough time in the day and energy in your body for everything to be done. And that's also okay.

What are the things most important to you in your life? How do you want your life to be defined???


No comments:

Post a Comment