Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 New Year's Resolutions


The first week of the New Year is down... Do you still feel just as hopeful as you did on New Year's Eve? How about your resolutions? Have you managed to stick to them for at least 7 days? Or was it more of a good thought and intention, but you knew it was never really going to happen?

For me I am not one to normally bother with making tangible goals every year. I never really got the point. I have never really felt any different at the start of the year. Truth be told I have probably felt more depressed than excited, because the holidays are over and I'm just waiting for Spring to come.

But this New Year has felt different for me. Probably because we have a lot of change happening! In a few short months we will be moving (to another house in the same area) and having Baby #5! Also, since I've been so out of the loop with my morning sickness and now feeling better I am feeling very motivated to get things done! Before this week it had been a long time since I had crossed anything off of a list!

I am feeling very excited and motivated about this year. I even had my kids each write out 4 New Year's Resolutions. HERE is the printable. They taped them to their wall so they can stay focused. 

So I have been doing a lot of reading on how to set and stick to my goals. Here are a few pointers I have found that may help you!

First, make sure that your goals fall in line with your "big rocks." Make sure that these are things of priority to you. That way you will stay motivated and not lose focus.

Second, it needs to be something specific. There should always be a way to measure your success. Example: "lose 5lbs. a month" instead of "lose weight" or "do not eat after 7pm" instead of "be healthier".  Makes sense right?

Third, come up with an action plan. Making a goal is great, but without a plan to achieve it, it is useless. Considering this is something new that you have not done previously you can't expect that it will just happen. You need to read, research and formulate a plan for success!

Fourth, keep it to a minimal. Sometimes it's easy to get a little over zealous in writing down a million goals. Chances are the more goals you have to attain the easier it will be to give up, because it seems unattainable. If you achieve something before the end of the year, then you can always add something else in its place.

Fifth, keep trying until the end. This I think may be one of the most important. It's easy to get off track for a week or two and then just give up. You have 12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days to complete these goals. It is never too late to get back on track. Any progress counts!


Here are my New Year's Resolutions:
  1. Organize and Print all of our pictures - I will use Snapfish to organize and will either print for an album or make picture books.
  2. Plan and stick to a budget - I have already started with the Dave Ramsey plan and envelope system. This way instead of saying save more I have an actual number goal.
  3. Work out twice a week - My plan of action for this is to tell my husband when I want to go. He is a workout nut and I know he will help bug motivate me into going. :)
  4. Schedule monthly date nights and family nights - Planning ahead is crucial.
  5. Drink 64 oz. of water a day - This is a hard one! I got a new water bottle and filter system for Christmas. Having that with me will hopefully help.
  6. Be in bed before 11pm & shower first thing in the morning - This schedule has been thrown off since being so sick, but I need to get back to the routine. Especially with a baby coming.
  7. Declutter before we move and organize new house - lots of Pinterest help.

I will go into more detail with all of these things soon and let you know my progress!

How about you? Any New Year's Resolutions??? How do you plan on keeping them?


Shared with:
Making your home sing MondaysPhotobucket

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome! I especially love the part about being specific, because you're right. If we don't get specific, we really will have trouble accomplishing that goal - because it's just to big and could be anything.

    I love your goals. My hubby doesn't want me to use cash in envelopes because he doesn't want me carrying large sums of money around. Besides, we charge our groceries whenever we can (and pay it off right away) so that we can get the rewards on our card.

    I have to drink a ton of water too. My doctor told me too. Ugh! I am trying to drink 8 ounces every hour until I meet my goal. So far I am having trouble remembering, lol!

    I pray that you will be feeling better soon! Morning sickness sucks, but what a joy the end of it brings!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete