Monday, January 28, 2013

Decluttering and Organizing: Gift Bags & Wrapping Supplies

Well as I shared last week, we are moving within the next two months and to prepare I am doing a lot of decluttering and organizing. I have gone through a good amount of things so far... Master bathroom, 2 book shelves, stored baby clothes and the latest was our gift bags and wrapping supplies.

Through this decluttering process I have had a few epiphanies about myself. I am quick to get rid of trash, but I have a hard time getting rid of things that could be of use. Like ever of use. To anyone.

This became completely evident the other night when I was going through all of our gift wrap and gift bags. I save gift bags & tissue paper, because when I buy a gift I would always forget to buy something to wrap it with and would have to make another trip to the store. By having them on hand it's a small money & time saver.

I noticed that while going through all the bags I was having a really difficult time sorting through what to get rid of and what to keep. I was trying to get rid of the bags that were really wrinkled or damaged or didn't like.
Like this bag... How embarrassing to give someone a gift in this bag!



Or this tissue paper... It's literally about as big as my hand and ripped! What in the world would I possibly to with it???



This really became quite comical when I came across this bag...



I just started cracking up! How long ago had I received this bag? It looks like it's from the 80's! And why was I saving it? Who on earth would I possibly ever give it to in the future? Lol

Another thing I realized was not only was I saving things that I would clearly never use, but why have I saved so many? Of course variety is good to have, but I probably had close to 70 bags!! When in my life am I ever going to need this many bags??? When will I ever have 70 gifts to give at a single time?

So I have set myself a few guidelines with going forward... There has to be a need and a limit! Of course, there is no point of keeping something that is not needed. Seems like a no brainer, but it's not always that simple. But even if it is something that can be needed at some point there needs to be a limit of items. I need to decide ahead of time what that limit is and stick to it. Sometimes the limit will be a number and sometimes it will be a space.

So now that I have gone through all the gift supplies I have decided to store them inside a large sturdy gift bag. If I want to save more, I will need to get rid of some that I already have. Yes, I do still have a considerable amount. But it's the best I can do right now and I'm okay with that.



How about you??? Is there anything that you have saved, despite knowing it's ridiculous?

6 comments:

  1. I'm almost embarassed to say this ... I have a bag full of black socks & dark blue t-shirts that I'm hanging on to for ... something. The socks are barely used b/c hubby didn't like them. I thought the t-shirts could at least be cut up as rags. I also tend to save 'trash' that could be used as a craft supply, i.e. toilet paper tubes, ribbon, etc. I too have a stash of gift bags & tissue paper that I struggle to narrow down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bags are so tricky! I limited my collection by storing them all in one huge bag. Then inside I have a smaller bag that holds Christmas ones, and I keep plain colored ones behind that for other occasions, and tissue paper on the other side of the Christmas ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the paper nice can be difficult, too. But at least that's pretty cheap if I run out.

      Delete
  3. You have shamed me into doing my bag collection. I too have the overflowing, wrinkled, oh my why did I keep that stash. I will narrow it down to maybe 2 per catergory for baby, girl, boy and adult. Tissue paper gets thrown except at Christmas. That I use to wrap ornaments before storing. Each year when I unpack I throw the old away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You're ambitious to cut it down by so much! Good for you! And that's a good idea about using the paper for storage. Christmas tissue paper never stays nice enough to reuse with all the craziness of the day. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete