Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Preparing for an Organized Moved



As if our lives are not already chaotic enough with a family of 6 + 1 on the way! We will be moving in about 60 days! While I have been excitedly waiting for this day to come I am also freaking out quite a bit! We have lived in this house for 6 years. And over that time we have accumulated A LOT of stuff!

I want this to be an organized move as possible. My goal is to purge! That way our new home can be organized. Since we will be moving into another rental, this will help with when we move in a year and a half to a home we will own. I really wish we could buy right now, so I didn't have to think about moving a second time before we've even moved the first time... But it is what it is. So, I'm trying to make the most of it.

The upside of this is it is forcing me to accomplish one of my 2013 New Year's Resolution of decluttering! I am determined to not pack anything unneeded!

So here is my plan so far:
  1. Sort & pack unneeded items. Example: holiday decorations, Christmas dishes, serving glassware, extra blankets & towels, all decorations (pictures frames, etc.), and books.
  2. Sort & pack kids clothes that are stored. One way that we keep our cost of living down is through hand-me-downs. Most of this is already organized, but I need to go through the things on top of the kids closets that are just now too small and see if they're worth keeping. If so, then I need to pack according to size.
  3. Sort kids clothes in their drawers & closet. If anything is too small I need to store or donate. I will not be packing any clothes in boxes, just be moving them in their drawers & on hangers.
  4. Sort & pack the majority of the kids books.
  5. Sort the kids toys. We shouldn't have to pack these either. Most things are in containers that can be moved.
  6. Sort my husband's and mine clothes in drawers and closet. 
  7. Sort & pack some of the kids art and game dresser. 
  8. Sort & pack garage items... This one I'm dreading the most!
  9. Sort & organize bathroom items & extra linens.
  10. Sort kitchen items, but pack them last.
  11. Have a yard sale!! This will happen when we have finalized the house we are moving into, so that I can sell any unneeded furniture. 


As you can tell I have a lot to get done, but I'm confident it will happen. Even if it doesn't end up as perfect as I hoped. I also downloaded a moving checklist from HERE. That's been really helpful, too. Also, I know that my kids are old enough that they will be able to help me when necessary. And though, my husband doesn't have too much patience for organizing he does have the muscles for all the heavy lifting I'll be needing!


Do you have any packing tips??? PLEASE, let me hear them!


2 comments:

  1. My husband had this great idea to make our moves, and putting things in the right place afterward, MUCH easier! I have written it out here: http://duckusruckus.blogspot.com/2010/11/smooth-move.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea! And then even if they get in the wrong room you can easily find it later without having to read every box. Genius! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete