Monday, March 11, 2013

My Meal Plan 03/11 - 03/17



Wow! It's been forever since I've written a blog post with that title! And to be honest... It's been months since I've done a complete meal plan since being pregnant. I've done a few lately that included just dinner and that is about it. Really if it wasn't for my husband, we would have been living off of PB&J for every meal and snack!

I've definitely been reminded of why I choose to meal plan.
  • Our grocery bill more than doubled. 
  • We were constantly doing the "5 o'clock panic" trying to figure out what we were going to eat.
  • My husband made countless extra trips to the store for things we needed. Which contributed to the extra cost.
  • We ate a lot more processed foods.
  • We ate fast food a lot! Talk about expensive & unhealthy!
  • Any many other reasons... 

But we were in survival mode, so I don't regret it, I just know it needs to change!


While it is hard to get back into the swing of things, I know it is best. Especially with the craziness of life right now! Between moving in 3 weeks, 3 kids involved in baseball, softball & t-ball, and a baby being born in about 10-12 weeks... This is going to be necessary in order to keep some type of organization in our house.

I have not had the time to use coupons as much I have in the past, so I'm trying to make up for that in other ways. One way is I am trying to make a lot more food items from scratch. This will not only help us save money, but is also healthier! I am starting slowly with breakfasts and snacks. I am also cooking dinner more, rather buying already made food. I intend to blog about this more in the future.

Here's our meal plan for the week:





Breakfast:
Cinnamon Apple Pie Oatmeal, Blueberry Muffins, Homemade Granola, Homemade Waffles (from the freezer), Eggs & Homemade (Frozen) Biscuits

Lunch:
PB&J Sandwiches, Turkey & Cheese Roll-Up, Hard-Boiled Eggs, Cheese & Crackers and Leftovers

Snacks:
Pretzels, Popcorn, Raisins, Peanut Butter Bana Smoothie, Carrots, Waffles w/ Jelly & Cream Cheese, Blueberry Muffins

Dinner:

Monday - Dinner @ Mom's house
(T-Ball practice 5-6)

Tuesday - Fish Sticks w/ Asparagus & Mashed Potatoes
(Softball practice 5-6 & Baseball practice 4:45-8)

Wednesday - Italian Chicken w/ Asparagus & Potatoes

Thursday - Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
(Softball practice 5:30-6:30)

Friday - Leftovers
(Baseball practice 4:30-7)

Saturday - Breakfast
(Softball practice & t-ball scrimmage during the day)

Sunday - Dinner at In-law's
(Tournament during the day)


What is your biggest motivation for meal planning??? Or your biggest excuse you don't???

Shared with:
Making your home sing Mondays

6 comments:

  1. You do realize the dates say April, not March. I give you permission to blame the baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Yes... Blaming on the pregnancy! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Budget! Meal planning is easier on the budget. Also I am trying to clean out my freezer so it helps to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're trying to clear out the freezer, too. With moving in 3 weeks, I would like to defrost the freezer before we leave. It will be way easier to move.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have a busy few weeks ahead of you! That meal planning will definitely help, especially since you're pregnant and will be busy packing as well. I'll bet you'll use the crockpot a few times if you have one!

    I think my youngest was born asking "What's for dinner?" I used to meal plan but have got away from it. I need to get back to it. I usually know what I'm fixing for dinner each night, but sometimes I don't have a clue and when my son asks I have to say "I have no idea."

    Last week I asked him what he wanted to eat and he said pancakes. So we had pancakes for dinner. Usually he suggests chicken teriyaki and rice, lol! Thanks so much for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog. This is the first time I have visited. I love meal planning! I did it for a week here in there in the past but for I sat down at the end of March and did a meal plan for the entire month of April and it has been AWESOME! My husband can finally stop asking me what's for supper and look at the schedule I posted on the wall! I recently started a blog of my own mainly focused on helping people save money while they're young. I don't have any coupons up but I recently started a section with meals under $5 and another with some simple money saving tips.

    http://countrylivingandsaving.blogspot.ca/

    Check it out if you're interested. I hope this will help some more young wives out!

    ReplyDelete