I have made a checklist specifically of items that need get done before baby arrives to try to help with my anxiety. I find it helps put things into perspective when I write down exactly what needs to get done, instead of just thinking "I have too much to do." Plus, I don't have to keep running things over and over in my mind. I just write it down and then I don't have to worry about forgetting.
Here's my list:
- Third Trimester Class - this is a class that is required through my hospital. It talks about all the logistics of what will happen when you go into labor.
- Childbirth class - This is completely necessary, but I would like to take a quick refresher course. I'm not going to set if this doesn't happen. I've been doing lots of reading.
- Dentist checkup appointment
- Pack hospital bag
- Install carseat
- Plan birth announcements - This way we can just upload pics & details and mail out.
- Get a haircut - I always get my haircut right before the baby is due. Not only do I know it will be awhile before I can make it back, but I get it cut shorter so it will be more manageable.
- Make list of people who need to know birth details before we make a FB announcement - This may sound silly, but it's easy to get excited and post things without thinking of the people in your life that deserve to know through a personal call or message.
- Finish painting the nursery - We are so excited to actually have a nursery! This is our first time being able to decorate one! We are mostly done.
- Buy baby furniture
- Wash baby clothes - Even though we don't know the baby's gender I have a small box of neutral clothes that I have used with both of my babies that is perfect to use for the first few weeks at home & while we get the gender specific clothes ready.
- Sort baby clothes & wash small load - I have newborn clothes from my babies (boy & girl) that I need to sort according to age so they will be easy to pull out and use once the baby is born. Plus, I want to wash a few that could be used right away.
- Maternity photos - Not sure if this will happen either. We would like to, but if it doesn't happen it won't be a big deal.
- Have a date night - With everything going on between moving & 3 kids in baseball we have had almost no time alone, besides laying on the couch after the kids are in bed, exhausted from the day. We need to have a little time!
- Register with pediatrician - This will make things a lot easier once the baby is born.
- Stock the house - Freezer meals, pantry foods, paper products, cleaning supplies, baby wipes & diapers, nursing supplies. The last thing I want to worry about is going shopping once the baby is here. I plan to just send my husband every week for essentials, like milk & produce.
- Write shower thank-you notes - My shower is one week away! I can't wait!
- Pack diaper bag - to take to hospital
This is what I have for now! If we hadn't just moved then I know that deep cleaning & organizing would be on this list, too. Thankfully I already purged & organized when we moved.
Can you think of anything that I'm missing? What is your advice for preparing for a new baby? Especially a 5th baby!